Healthy Choices Count!
When kids eat healthy and play healthy, they stay healthy.
or more fruits and vegetables...
because kids need the right nutrients to grow, develop, and fight off illness.
hours or less of screen time...
because it decreases snacking and increases kids' reading scores and ability to focus.
hour of physical activity...
because it makes kids feel good, grow strong, sleep better, and improve flexibility.
sugary drinks, more water...
because soda has empty calories and caffeine kids don't need.
We can promote 5-2-1-0!
As parents, educators, health care providers, and caregivers, we can build healthy habits as we interact with kids.
Try easy ideas, such as:
- Offering a variety of brightly colored fruits and vegetables
- Keeping TVs and computers out of the bedroom
- Turning on some music for an impromptu dance party
- Carrying a water bottle with you and having kids do the same
This is just the start of what's possible when we all live 5-2-1-0. Check out tips and tools based on research on Iowa's 5-2-1-0 website:
5-2-1-0 in central Iowa
Many central Iowa partners have teamed up to promote 5-2-1-0 in all settings to help kids make healthy choices. Choose a category to learn more about how you can use 5-2-1-0 practices in your work and life:
Download these materials to learn more about the 5-2-1-0 initiative:
Thank you to our central Iowa 5-2-1-0 partners!
5-2-1-0 is led by the many partners listed below. To become a partner or to sponsor 5-2-1-0, please contact Erin Drinnin.
Central Iowa sponsorsThe following organizations have provided financial support to this project:
The following organizations work with local organizations in professional sectors to create system change:
- Early Care and Education: Visiting Nurse Services
- Health Care: Blank Children's Hospital
Well Kids Coalition Members
The following organizations are represented as partners of the Well Kids Coalition, a collaborative approach to addressing childhood obesity in central Iowa.
- 4rKids ECI Area
- American Heart Association Iowa
- Blank Children's Hospital
- Broadlawns WIC
- Community Health Partners
- Courage League Sports
- Dallas County Public Health
- Des Moines Public Schools
- Food Bank Iowa
- IMT Des Moines Marathon
- Iowa Chapter of American Academy of Pediatrics
- Iowa Department of Education
- Iowa Department of Public Health
- Iowa Kidstrong
- Marion County Public Health
- Mercy Children's Hospital & Clinics
- Midwest Dairy Council
- Polk County Early Childhood Iowa
- Polk County Health Department
- Primary Health Care
- United Way of Central Iowa
- UnityPoint - Blank Children's Hospital
- Warren County Health Services
- Waukee Community School District
- YMCA of Greater Des Moines