Healthy Choices Count!
When kids eat healthy and play healthy, they stay healthy.
or more fruits and vegetables...
because kids need the right nutrients to grow, develop, and fight off illness.
hours or less of screen time...
because it decreases snacking and increases kids' reading scores and ability to focus.
hour of physical activity...
because it makes kids feel good, grow strong, sleep better, and improve flexibility.
sugary drinks, more water...
because soda has empty calories and caffeine kids don't need.
We can promote 5-2-1-0!
As parents, educators, health care providers, and caregivers, we can build healthy habits as we interact with kids.
Try easy ideas, such as:
- Offering a variety of brightly colored fruits and vegetables
- Keeping TVs and computers out of the bedroom
- Turning on some music for an impromptu dance party
- Carrying a water bottle with you and having kids do the same
This is just the start of what's possible when we all live 5-2-1-0. Check out tips and tools based on research on Iowa's 5-2-1-0 website:
5-2-1-0 in Central Iowa
Many central Iowa partners have teamed up to promote 5-2-1-0 in all settings to help kids make healthy choices. Choose a category to learn more about how you can use 5-2-1-0 practices in your work and life:
Meet Our Healthcare Champions
Kyla Carney, DO
Dana Danley, MD
Jen Groos, MD
Barbara Hodney, DO FAAFP
Sarah Jackson, MD
Chris Jensen, MD
Jennifer Olson, DO
Amy Petersen, MD
Christy Sullivan, MD
Olga Tenney, MD
Andrea White, MD
Thank you to our central Iowa 5-2-1-0 partners!
5-2-1-0 is led by the many partners listed below. To become a partner or to sponsor 5-2-1-0, please contact Erin Drinnin.
Central Iowa sponsorsThe following organizations have provided financial support to this project:
The following organizations work with local organizations in professional sectors to create system change:
- Early Care and Education: EveryStep
- Health Care: Blank Children's Hospital
Well Kids Coalition Members
The following organizations are represented as partners of the Well Kids Coalition, a collaborative approach to addressing childhood obesity in central Iowa.
- 4-H Switch Program
- American Heart Association Iowa
- Amita Health
- Ankeny Schools
- Back to the Roots Farmers Market
- Black Women for Healthy Living
- Blank Children's Hospital
- Boys and Girls Club of Central Iowa
- Broadlawns WIC
- Carlisle ISD
- Carlisle Middle School
- Casey's General Stores
- Child and Family Policy Center
- City of Des Moines
- Community Health Partners
- Courage League Sports
- Dallas County Public Health Department
- Des Moines Public Schools
- Drake University
- Eat Greater Des Moines
- ECI Area
- Employee Family Resources
- FBL Financial Group, Inc.
- Food Bank Iowa
- Grinnell Education Partnership
- Handy's Home Daycare and Preschool
- Healthiest State Initiative
- HyVee Kids Fit
- IMT Des Moines Marathon
- Indianola YMCA
- Iowa Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Public Policy
- Iowa Association for the Education of Young Children
- Iowa Association of Regional Councils Inc.
- Iowa Bicycle Coalition
- Iowa Clinic
- Iowa Department of Education
- Iowa Department of Public Health
- Iowa Heart Center Foundation
- Iowa Kidstrong
- Iowa Sports Foundation
- Iowa Total Care
- ISU Extension & Outreach
- Johnston Community School District
- Live Healthy Iowa
- Marion County Public Health
- Mercy Children's Hospital & Clinics
- Mercy Health
- MercyOne Iowa Heart Center
- Michele's House Childcare & Learning Center LLC
- Midwest Dairy Council
- Mindful Counseling DSM
- Norwalk Schools
- Nymaster Goode Law Firm
- Opportunity on Deck
- Polk County Early Childhood Iowa
- Polk County Health Department
- Primary Health Care
- Real Food 4 Kids
- Restorative Justice
- SE Warren Schools
- The Miracle of Food
- United Way 211
- United Way of Central Iowa
- UnityPoint - Blank Children's Hospital
- Waldorf University
- Warren County Health Services
- Waukee Community School District
- Waverly Health Center
- West Des Moines Schools
- YMCA of Greater Des Moines