Individuals and families with a combined income under $58,000 in one year qualify to receive free tax preparation through our VITA program. It's a free, accurate, and convenient way to file your taxes, and to help those who qualify receive their Earned Income Tax Credit or Child Care Tax Credits.
Sites will open January 22, 2019!
Let us prepare your taxes:
- If you made less than $58,000 last year, visit a VITA site in Des Moines during one of the times listed below between January 22 and April 15.
- If you made less than $66,000 last year, visit www.MyFreeTaxes.com to file for free online.
Before you go to a VITA site:
You must bring a copy of last year's tax returns or a tax return transcript to prepare your taxes. We will not have access to last year's return information. To request your transcript, go to www.IRS.gov and, under "Tools," click on "Get a tax transcript." After answering the questions, you can print your transcript. Or you can call 1-800-908-9946 and follow the prompts. Call 2-1-1 with questions.
What you'll need:
- Proof of identification
- Social Security cards for you, your spouse and dependents and/or a Social Security number verification letter issued by the Social Security Administration
- Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return
- Current year’s tax package if you received one
- Wage and earning statement(s): Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, from all employers
- Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
- A copy of last year’s federal and state returns
- Bank routing numbers and account numbers for direct deposit. Blank check or deposit slip required.
- Total paid for day care provider and the day care provider’s tax identifying number (the provider’s Social Security number or the provider’s business Employer Identification Number)
- To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms.
If you made $58,000 or less in 2018, you may be eligible for the following refunds:
- $6,431: Maximum amount with three or more qualifying children
- $5,716: Maximum amount with two qualifying children
- $3,461: Maximum amount with one qualifying child
- $519: Maximum amount with no children
- Investment income must be $3,500 or less for year
Delay in Refunds
Please note that the IRS will not process any return claiming Earned Income Tax Credit or the Additional Child Tax Credit until February 15. This will allow the IRS to ensure multiple claims are not made for the same child. The processing delay will impact the entire refund.
The IRS projects that electronic deposits to bank accounts or debt cards will not likely begin until the week of February 27, with mailed checks not being received until March. If the IRS receives multiple claims for the same child, the delay will be longer as the IRS will need to send a survey to each claimant to determine which one has the lawful right to claim the child for one of these credits. The best way to check the status of your refund is to visit "Where's My Refund" on IRS.gov. For all other returns, the IRS expects to issue more than 9 out of 10 returns in less than 21 day
VITA Tax Preparation Locations
Sites are open until April 15 unless otherwise noted.
Sites and times are subject to change. Please call 2-1-1 for the most current information.
VITA is sponsored in part by: