United Way of Central Iowa's Core Values include Integrity, and that means we want to be transparent to ensure the community can easily review our policies and finances. The following information is updated quarterly.
Below you will find an overview of our financial activities for the fiscal year that ended June 30, 2017. This information is designed to focus on current year activities and changes year-over-year. This overview should be read in conjunction with the financial statements below, as well as our audited financial statements.
Overall for fiscal year 2017, which ran July 1, 2016-June 30, 2017, United Way of Central Iowa (UWCI) had a strategic decrease in net assets—prior to changes in our endowment and changes in our restricted contributions—of $523,322. This is a change year-over-year of $965,471. Please see below for drivers of such change.
- Campaign Contributions - Gross revenue decreased by $1,356,065, mainly due to a change in the information provided on specific donor-designated pledges. This decrease in revenue is partially offset by a decrease in expenses under the Donor-Directed Contributions line.
- Partially offsetting the decrease seen in Campaign Contributions, Grants, Sponsorships, and Other Non-Campaign Contribution revenue increased by $590,125 due to the receipt of new grants and sponsorships.
- In total, Total Revenue decreased by $891,256.
- Mostly offsetting the Campaign Contribution – Gross revenue decrease mentioned above, we have an offsetting decrease of $1,040,403 in Donor-Directed Contributions expense.
- Community Investments and Services increased by $929,765. This increase was due to expenses incurred as part of new grant and sponsorship funding, as well as the strategic decision for additional funding into programs in the community.
- In total, Total Expenses increased by $74,215.
For additional information regarding United Way of Cental Iowa's financials, please see the link to our audited financial statements below.
** For audited financial reporting purposes, donor-directed contributions are not included in expenses but are charged against contributions.
*** In audited financial reports, the increase in the Board-designated endowment funds distributed for spending is combined with the Endowment Increase/(Decrease) after distribution. The total change in the endowment is presented in revenue in the Statement of Activities.
|Statement of Financial Position||Fiscal Year Ending
June 30, 2017*
|Fiscal Year Ending
June 30, 2016*
|Cash & Investments||$12,466,496||$12,300,124|
|Land, Building and Equipment||2,552,274||2,726,656|
|Payables to Agencies||$1,521,319||$1,496,721|
|Unrestricted - designated by governing board**|
Land, Building and Equipment
|Unrestricted after designations**||10,983,461||10,835,019|
|Total Net Assets||$33,624,994||$33,322,892|
|Total Liabilities and Net Assets||$36,821,684||$36,596,559|
** To provide financial stability for the organization, the governing board established a guideline range for unrestricted net assets after designation. The range is based on three to six months of budgeted program and operating expenses for the next fiscal year. For 2016, the range was approximately $5,936,000 to $11,872,000. For 2017, the range was approximately $5,789,000 to $11,578,000.