ALICE (Asset, Limited, Income, Constrained, Employed) represents the growing number of families who are unable to afford the basics of housing, childcare, food, transportation, healthcare, and technology.
- Span all races, ages, ethnicities, and abilities, though households of color are disproportionately ALICE,
- Include workers whose wages cannot keep up with the rising cost of goods and services,
- Often include those who are working two or more jobs and still cannot pay their bills,
- Include family members who need care and assistance, which makes it harder for their caregivers to find adequate work,
- Live paycheck to paycheck and are forced to make impossible choices: pay their rent or buy food, receive medical care or pay for childcare, pay utility bills or put gas in the car,
- Are part of every community nationwide.