United Way and its community partners are helping low-income workers at tax time by providing free tax preparation assistance. Individuals or families with a combined income under $58,000 in 2015, you qualify to receive free tax preparation.
In 2015 the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program filed more than 5,700 tax returns in the Des Moines area -- bringing a total of $9 million back to people working hard to make ends meet.
IRS certified volunteers work throughout tax season at our 6 sites conveniently located throughout central Iowa to prepare taxes for low-income workers. Tax preparation volunteers are provided with the training and materials they need to become IRS certified -- offered online or in a classroom setting. After completing training, volunteers must pass a test to become IRS certified. Volunteer greeters and Spanish translators are also needed to welcome taxpayers and make sure they have the paperwork they need. To learn more, contact Holly Sagar at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Do I qualify?
If you are an individual or family with a combined income under $58,000 in 2015, you qualify for free tax preparation. Please dial 2-1-1 to schedule an appointment at the location nearest you.
What you'll need
- Proof of identification
- Social Security Cards for you, your spouse and dependents and/or a Social Security Number verification letter issued by the Social Security Administration
- Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return
- Current year’s tax package if you received one
- Wage and earning statement(s) Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, from all employers
- Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
- A copy of last year’s Federal and State returns
- Bank Routing Numbers and
- Account Numbers for Direct Deposit. Blank check or deposit slip required.
- Total paid for day care provider and the day care provider’s tax identifying number (the provider’s Social Security Number or the provider’s business Employer Identification Number)
- To file taxes electronically on a married filing joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms.
VITA Tax Preparation Locations
406 S.W. School St., Room #204
United Way of Central Iowa
1111 9th St. Room E
DMACC Southridge Mall
1111 E. Army Post Road
DES MOINES SUPERSITE
Polk County River Place
(former Target building)
2309 Euclid Ave.
WeLift/Trinity United Presbyterian Church
106 E. 2nd Ave. (Hwy 92)
First Presbyterian Church
1323 4th St.
Sites and times are subject to change. Please call 2-1-1 for the most current information.