United Way and its community partners are helping low-income workers at tax time by providing free tax preparation assistance. Individuals or families with a combined income under $58,000 in 2015 qualify to receive free tax preparation.
In 2016 the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program filed 5,666 tax returns in the Des Moines area -- bringing a total of $8.3 million back to people working hard to make ends meet.
To have your taxes prepared free: Do I qualify?
If you are an individual or family with a combined income under $58,000 in 2015, you qualify for free tax preparation. Please dial 2-1-1 to schedule an appointment at the location nearest you (See locations below.)
What you'll need
- Proof of identification
- Social Security Cards for you, your spouse and dependents and/or a Social Security Number verification letter issued by the Social Security Administration
- Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return
- Current year’s tax package if you received one
- Wage and earning statement(s) Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, from all employers
- Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
- A copy of last year’s Federal and State returns
- Bank Routing Numbers and
- Account Numbers for Direct Deposit. Blank check or deposit slip required.
- Total paid for day care provider and the day care provider’s tax identifying number (the provider’s Social Security Number or the provider’s business Employer Identification Number)
- To file taxes electronically on a married filing joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms.