Join the team of volunteers who help families receive much-needed tax refunds.
Central Iowa families need your help in preparing their taxes, so they can receive tax refunds that help them on a path to financial stability.
Last year, VITA volunteers helped nearly 5,000 families receive an average refund of $1,837. These refunds help families pay bills, cover basic needs, and save for the future.
No prior tax experience is required, and training is free for all volunteers.
- Free materials, training and testing to become IRS certified
- A network of like-minded individuals who are giving back to our community
- Welcome and thank you receptions
- Support from staff to answer questions and guide you throughout your experience
- Flexibility in picking the shifts and locations that work best for you
- A meaningful skill to add to your resume
- Trust from clients, who share parts of their lives with their financial information
- Participate in a two-hour training in January
- Welcome taxpayers and oversee the sign-in process
- Complete a checklist with the taxpayer to confirm documentation
- Participate in the IRS tax training and achieve basic or advanced certification in December
- Meet face-to-face with the taxpayer to gather information, review documents, and prepare the tax return
- Discuss the tax return with the taxpayer after quality review process is complete
- Participate in the IRS tax training and receive advanced certification in December
- Check completed tax forms for errors using a checklist and advise tax preparer of needed changes
- Circulate among the team to provide support and answer questions
To learn more, contact Sarah Witt at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- DES MOINES
United Way of Central Iowa
1111 9th St. Room E
- DES MOINES SUPERSITE
Polk County River Place
(former Target building)
2309 Euclid Ave.
Sites are subject to change.