The refugees in our community have survived difficult times. Let's welcome them as new Iowans. We are better together!
Together with community partners business, government, education, and nonprofit, United Way of Central Iowa and the Refugee Alliance of Central Iowa (RACI) are hosting the 2017 Refugee Summit. The goals of the Summit are to celebrate the accomplishments of refugees in central Iowa and raise awareness about the ways they enrich our community and how we can support our new neighbors.
2017 Refugee Summit
At the summit, you will learn more about refugees, their contributions to central Iowa, and their ongoing needs in our community.
Friday, October 6
For employers, government officials, educators, nonprofits, and community members
Registration: 8:00 – 8:30 a.m.
Program: 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Keynote: 3:45 p.m.
Cultural Reception: 4:30 – 6:00 p.m.
- Keynote presentations by Ilhan Omar and Dr. Mark Grey
- Session topics include Refugee 101, education, employment and entrepreneurship, and health
- Refugee simulation (pre-registration required)
- Reception honoring the cultures of refugees in our community with art, dance, music, and literature
Registration fee: $40 for full day, including keynote and reception
Cultural reception and keynote speaker only: $30 (limited space)
Interest table: $40 (includes 1 lunch on Saturday)
Represent your agency or organization to share information about resources and opportunities for refugees in our community on Friday, 4:30-6:00 p.m., and Saturday, 9:00 a.m.-1:00 p.m.
Saturday, October 7
For refugees: Exploring resources and opportunities, answering questions, and getting help
Registration: 9:00 – 9:30 a.m.
Program: 9:30 a.m. – noon
Lunch: 12:00 – 1:00 p.m.
Special Parent session: 1:00 – 2:00 p.m.
- Keynote by Rep. Ilhan Omar
- Health screenings offered by Des Moines University and Dental Connections
- Flu shots from Polk County Health
- Employer fair
- Information provided by community organizations
- Housing information
- Interpreters available
- Transportation provided, if needed
Registration: Free for refugees (pre-registration required)
Interest table: $40 (covers Friday and Saturday)
Get to Know a Refugee
One boy’s journey from a Tanzanian refugee camp to the aerospace industry—with education as his guide.
Lutheran Services in Iowa offered Marie a place in the Global Greens program—funded by United Way—which provides land and seeds to refugee farmers.