Increase the Well-Being Index Score to 64.5 by 2020
In 2009, United Way of Central Iowa (UWCI) made a strategic decision to move from an organization that has been a traditional funding agency to an organization centered on collective community impact and change. United Way took the bold move of establishing Goals for 2020 in education, income and health. The audacious goals were established to move the Central Iowa community forward by focusing efforts and funding on evidence-based initiatives that align with strategies and expected results.
With extensive input from the community, the Health Goal for 2020 was established using the Gallup-Healthways Well-Being Index (WBI). The WBI is based on the World Health Organization’s definition of health as not only physical health, but also mental and social well-being. The Index includes five elements based on research to track and understand the key factors that drive well-being:
1. Physical: Having good health and enough energy to get things done daily.
2. Social: Having supportive relationships and love in your life.
3. Community: Liking where you live, feeling safe and having pride in your community.
4. Purpose: Liking what you do each day and being motivated to reach your goals.
5. Financial: Managing your economic life to reduce stress and increase security.
United Way hosted the Central Iowa Well-Being Forum on July 28, 2015 to engage stakeholders in discussion and planning around how to achieve the goal. More information about the forum, materials provided, and how to get involved can be found here.
Health White Paper
Health Strategy Map
For more information contact:
Erin Drinnin, Director, Health 515.246.6518 email@example.com