South Central Iowa Federation of Labor, AFL-CIO (SCIFL) and United Way of Central Iowa have a long-standing partnership for improving lives in our community.
SCIFL supports United Way agency partners and community services that provide affordable housing, quality childcare and schools, adequate health care, opportunities for youth and a safety net of support programs.
United Way and organized labor work together to:
- Train union members to assist co-workers with information about available local services and to refer them to the appropriate organizations.
- Recruit, train and help place members of organized labor on the decision-making bodies of health and human-service organizations. This is done at the national, state and local levels.
- Solicit United Way campaign contributions from union workers through payroll deduction.
- Encourage union members to volunteer their time and talents to nonprofits.
- Provide a staff of more than 200 full-time AFL-CIO Community Services Liaisons to serve as links between their state federations and central labor councils and United Ways in 170 communities across the United States.
- SCIFL affiliates and United Way of Central Iowa distribute over 750 holiday baskets each December. The baskets brightened the holiday season for laid-off union members across central Iowa.
SCIFL’s United Way Labor Liaison works out of the SCIFL office to promote the caring and sharing that is at the heart of the labor movement:
Community Services Labor Liaison
The history of United Way of America and the AFL-CIO
Since 1946, the American Federation of Labor and the Congress of Industrial Organizations (AFL-CIO) and United Way of America have enjoyed a cooperative relationship through which they and state and local United Ways have provided services to members of organized labor, their families and their communities. Currently, there are five AFL-CIO representatives serving on United Way of America's Board of Governors, two of them on the executive committee, and a labor leader is currently serving as the chair of the board of directors of United Way International.